IT Leadership Program
Develop your leadership capabilities to drive your organization forward in the use of IT
Most organizations today are fundamentally dependent on their IT systems. Few could survive for very long without them. It is ironic, then, that most companies are also dissatisfied with the value and contribution that IT is making to their business. Blame is usually laid at the door of the company’s IT leader. ESMT research reveals that many are struggling with the kind of leadership necessary to drive their organizations forward in the use of IT.
The English language program “IT Leadership Program” (ITL) provides the knowledge, skills, and tools needed to be a successful and dynamic IT leader. The underpinning philosophy of this program is that chief information officers (CIO) and IT Directors are first and foremost business leaders, albeit with special responsibilities for IT.
To increase the number of female executives in IT, ESMT awards 1 partial scholarship and one ESMT/30% Club partial scholarship (value €4,450) for women in IT leadership positions.
Exceptionally qualified and talented candidates might be eligible for the scholarships. Please get in contact with the ITL Program Director Prof. Joe Peppard.
- Executives with responsibility for IT
- IT managers with leadership ambitions
- Chief information officers
- IT executives who seek an extra edge
- expand your knowledge and enhance personal performance as effective IT leaders
- develop leadership capabilities , learning new essential skills and competencies
- shape strategic direction, drive innovation, and optimize the value that organizations derive from IT
- a lifelong learning network
- through improved organizational effectiveness, IT will continue to add greater value to the organizations
- Being a business-focused IT leader
- Navigating an organization’s political landscape
- Influencing and communicating with key stakeholders
- Thinking strategically and having strategic conversations
- Growing great performers and building leadership teams
- Developing and aligning information, systems, and IT strategies with business drivers
- Designing a workable IT governance structure
- Defining business operating-models and enterprise architecture
- Building and managing the IT investment portfolio
- Tackling the leadership challenges of the CIO
Meet the teaching staff
Joe Peppard (Program Director)
Professor, ESMT Berlin
Joe is Director of the School’s IT Leadership Program. He is also Adjunct Professor at the University of South Australia. Over the years he has held academic appointments at Loughborough University, Trinity College Dublin, Groningen University, and the University of Sydney.
The focus of Joe’s research and teaching is in the area of information systems and technology. His research falls under five broad themes:
- Leadership: driving the organisation forward in the use and exploitation of IT, including the leadership role of the CIO
- Strategy: thinking strategically about information, systems and technology
- Innovation: marrying emerging technology capability with business opportunities
- Organisation: structuring and sourcing IT infrastructure, services, human capital and processes and the enterprise governance of IT
- Value: generating value from IT investments.
Joe has published widely in academic, general business and management journals. In 2009 he was awarded the Stafford Beer Medal by the OR Society for his research. His most recent books include Strategic Planning for Information Systems (Wiley) and Customer Relationship Management: Perspectives from the Marketplace (Butterworth-Heinemann). He is currently working on a book Business Innovation with Information Technology. He is an Editorial Board Member of European Management Journal and the Journal of Information Technology.